COOLAX-GAMING

Suggestion: Save World

9 replies
Votes:
+1
I know that the next server reset isn't for a while. But I think it would be cool if when it does eventually happen, you would upload the save for the world so we can download it and continue our bases in single player.
Posted Dec 18, 18 · OP
TheRealDinosaur HelperProfessor
Votes:
+11
Probably won't happen, people been requesting that for years and they said no because it could reveal base locations and get people raided.
Posted Dec 20, 18
Votes:
+1
No, I'm saying you do this right before a reset. Eveyone's bases and base locations will be deleted (hence the point of saving it)
Posted Dec 20, 18 · OP
Votes:
+11
But what would be the point of doing this?
Posted Dec 20, 18
Votes:
+1
The point is, that people put hundreds of hours into their bases, I think Im almost at 200 for this one and in my last runs it was a similar number. They are works of art. (Well most of them...) and it really sucks when all your hard work gets deleted. So if you are going to delete everyone's bases, at least just upload the file, so that the hard work isn't gone forever. And they now have a super awesome singe player world to explore and continue their bases in.

Think about it
The server reset is a fundamental part of modded servers, keeps stuff fresh. But its dreaded by players and it happens every couple few months. However if it means that they can now keep their bases and have a world full of other peoples relics of bases to find and explore. It would take a routinely bad experience and make it a positive one that I see no reason against doing. :)
Posted Dec 20, 18 · OP
Votes:
+11
That could potentially work indeed. Nice idea and explaination.
Posted Dec 20, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+48
Pretty sure all the world files are 100 gigs big atm and pve has been reset what 5 6 months ago
I dont see anyone going through the trouble of downloading that big a file and uploading it.
on a side note is there even a free site where you can upload files regardless of their size for an unlimited amount of time lol?
Posted Dec 21, 18
Votes:
+1
So I'm guessing that the server itself is in that 100gb range because of the block history / backups of the world. But I would imagine just the latest version of the map itself wouldn't be that big. If so, then it would be completely insane to be constantly backing up a 100 Gb file.

I saw a post that even big mine craft worlds are generally only 1.6 - 2Gb max even if you load the chunks all the way to the far lands. This is much more reasonable. (Its definitely higher for a mod pack but not 100Gb higher)

The location of this file could be looked into, you would not need to make it an unlimited amount of time though. Maybe available for a few weeks after the reset. A 1 - 2Gb file could be as easy at a public google drive file, media fire, or just posting it in a forum.
Posted Dec 21, 18 · OP
Slipplaysmc MemberTinker
Votes:
+31
Yeah, it's a nice way of preserving art and build time, I guess. And you can also use it to be strategic and/or copy old build designs. I've seen lots of other servers do this. I'm all for it, but it ultimately is up to whoever is capable of doing it
Posted Dec 21, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+1
Exactly! And it'd have to be someone with access to the server files (obviously), which I'm guessing is a small handful of people. Luckily we have until the next reset to see if one of them is on board
Posted Dec 22, 18 · OP
875 Posts
jenjen1130 ManagerEinstein
764 Posts
Tato ProfessorNoviceApprenticeJourneyman
403 Posts
Drathonix MemberModerator
NoticeNotices